Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rajma/Red Kidney Beans Curry

Wow...I just can't believe I've been gone so long from the blogging work. I need to get back on track. I have a lot of recipes to post, but I just couldn't find the time to upload them to my computer. Will try to be more disciplined now.

Rajma is a very versatile curry, it's great with roti and puri, but it can be eaten just as well with plain rice or rice dishes like pulao or biryani. It's great for parties, but simple enough to make for a night at home.

Here's my simple attempt at it...I buy store bought red kidney beans with no salt added. The no salt added is very important, unless you can remember that when it's time for you to add salt to your curry.
You can also buy the regular dry kidney beans and just soak them overnight.



INGREDIENTS

1 can Red Kidney Beans (well washed, I don't like the taste of the canned juices, so I wash mine really well)
1/2 finely chopped Onion
2 tbsp Tomato Paste (can be home made or store bought, I buy the Hunts Tomato Paste)
Salt
Red Chilli Powder
Garam Masala
Dhania (Coriander/Cilantro) Powder
1 1/2 cup Water
Oil

PROCEDURE

In a heavy bottomed pan, heat about 3 tbsp of oil. Add in the chopped onion and let them soften.
Now add in the tomato paste, water, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala, dhania powder and stir well until there are no lumps. Add in the beans.
Cover and let the curry come to a boil (on medium-low heat).

Done!!!! So, easy for such a famous dish.

Serving suggestion:

In a bowl, top the rajma with some more chopped onion and fresh chopped coriander with a side of a lime wedge. Serve with roti, puri, rice, anything you want!

1 comments:

Trupti said...

rajma curry looks very delicious Pallavi

Post a Comment